Get Involved For National Work Zone Awareness Week in Georgia
It is officially the start of construction season, and what better way to kick it off than with National Work Zone Awareness Week. This annual spring campaign is to bring extra caution to drivers when going through work zones. The CSRA is growing more and more each day, so we have tons of work zones that we should aim to be more cautious of.
The national observance is coordinated through Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), and American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA), in partnership with each state Departments of Transportation.
This campaign has a different theme each year. The theme for 2023 is “You play a role in work zone safety. Work with us!” Along with a theme there is a kickoff event in a host state, this year it is Missouri. Don’t worry, we get to get in on the fun, too. Each state also hosts their own events.
Here’s Georgia’s list of events put out by the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT).
Monday, April 17 – Work Zone Safety Training Day
- Companies are encouraged to pause during the workday for safety discussions and demonstrations.
Tuesday, April 18 – National Kick-off
- The kickoff event will be hosted in Missouri this year. Catch the live stream here.
Wednesday, April 19 – Go Orange Day
- All roadway safety professionals are encouraged to wear orange in support of work zone safety. To show your support add an orange ribbon to your Facebook profile photo.
Thursday, April 20 – Social Media Storm
- Tag GDOT and share your stores about the importance of work zone safety.
Friday, April 21 – Moment of Silence
- Honor the fallen GDOT workers who have died in work zone related incidents by taking a moment of silence.
Going on all week – Spot the Difference Photo Challenge
Each day this week GDOT will post a set of photos to their social media. To participate you have to spot the five differences between each image.
For more information on the 2023 National Work Zone Awareness week, check it out here!