Gregg Allman fans will have the opportunity to hear his final studio album this fall.
Set for release September 8, Southern Blood will feature ten tracks (nine covers and one original song) and be available in the following three formats: Standard CD, deluxe CD with two extra tracks and a bonus DVD and limited edition first run LP featuring hardwood colored heavyweight vinyl and exclusive lithograph.
The lone original track, “My Only True Friend,” is available for streaming and can be heard below.
“My Only True Friend” is a fitting final song from the legendary music icon with Southern Blood producer Don Was stating, “‘My Only True Friend’ was Gregg’s attempt to contextualize the course of his life. The man that his fans saw performing onstage was the essential Gregg Allman – he was whole and truly satisfied when he was up there playing music. The trials and troubles he faced in life were mostly the result of not knowing what to do with himself in between shows. In this song, he’s addressing a woman and explaining that, although he loves her and doesn’t want to face living his life alone, being away on the road and performing every night is his lifeblood. If you understand this about Gregg Allman, every other aspect of his life makes complete sense.”
All formats of Southern Blood, including exclusive bundles, can be pre-ordered at GreggAllman.com.
Gregg Allman – Southern Blood – Tracklist
- My Only True Friend (Gregg Allman-Scott Sharrard)
- Once I Was (Tim Buckley-Larry Beckett)
- Going Going Gone (Bob Dylan)
- Black Muddy River (Jerome J. Garcia-Robert C. Hunter)
- I Love the Life I Live (Willie Dixon)
- Willin’ (Lowell George)
- Blind Bats and Swamp Rats (Jack Avery)
- Out of Left Field (Dewey Lindon Oldham Jr.-Dan Penn)
- Love Like Kerosene (Scot Sharrard)
- Song for Adam featuring Jackson Browne (Jackson Browne)
Erica Banas is a rock/classic rock news blogger. The first man she ever loved was Jack Daniel. (True story.)